Jacksonville Criminal Defense
Many people are arrested in Duval, Clay, and St. Johns counties on a daily basis. If this unfortunate incident has happened to you or a loved one, please call our office to see if we can help!
We handle all criminal offenses, including DUI. Our office offers a FREE consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Kate Mesic is a former prosecutor and will guide you through this difficult and confusing process. We will evaluate your case, to see if we can challenge the arrest and the charge.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- The 1st degree misdemeanors are more severe, and their maximum penalty is up to 1 year in jail and $1000.00 fine.
- The 2nd degree misdemeanors have a max penalty of up to 60 days and $500.00 fine. These figures are not necessarily what you will get as a sentence or an offer from the State . Actual sentences are more lighter for first time offenders.
- You will be taken to a local jail, in Duval County it is located at 501 East Bay Street Jacksonville, FL 32202-2975.
- Within 24 hours you will go to First Appearance, where you will see a Judge. Usually the time of your first appearance depends on the time when you were arrested the day before, so it can be the next morning or the afternoon.
- At First Appearance, the Judge will consider the police report and decide if the police had probable cause to arrest you.
- The Judge will also decide the amount of your bail and what you can and cannot do while you are on bail (conditions of bail). The judge will also inquire whether or not you would like to request a lawyer. If you cannot afford one, he will appoint a public defender to represent you.